The Engagement

Trevis tripped over some loose wires as he balanced a pitcher of cold beer in his right hand, and the cordless microphone in the other. After a few glances through the crowd, he spotted Belinda standing near the couch with Janice and Beatrice. Missing the glass center piece by inches, he crossed the large living room and stood by her side.

“Sweets, my digicam is in the lower left pocket of my coat,” he said, spreading his arms, “could you please fish it out for me, and record what follows.”
“Trevis,” she threw her hands up in frustration, “make someone else do it.”
“Pretty please,” he begged, “You’ve got good stable hands, I have this gorgeous surprise planned for Jessica, and I want a nice, clear, non-earthquake-effect video of it.”

Belinda gave in. It was her best friend’s engagement party, how could she possibly refuse! Even though she knew that he was marrying the non-fictional version of Cruella de Vil, she began recording, half-heartedly.

Trevis climbed onto the soft beige leather couch that sat pretty in his ‘to-be’ in-laws living room, pitcher still in hand. “Ladies and gentlemen, could I please have your attention,” he said, raising the pitcher high for all to see. “DJ, could you stop the music for just a moment? Yes, thank you,” he turned back to the crowd. “I know how this looks, ‘beer in hand’, ‘guy standing on the couch with a microphone’, but no, I’m as sober as sober can be.” A faint wave of laughter ran across the room.

“Jessica, darling,” he said pointing the pitcher at a gorgeous woman dressed in a peach micro-mini, “could you come here please, by the couch?”
Jessica was already half across the room. Her mother was furious to see Trevis climb onto the couch. The surprise did not matter; it was a very expensive couch.
Jessica tugged at the right leg of his pant, “What are you doing?” but Trevis just winked at her and went on. “The reason I’ve stood up on this couch, is so that all you wonderful people in the back don’t miss it. This one’s for you darling” he blew her a kiss. “Two years ago, I met a gorgeous, talented woman at a party, full of life, radiant and adventurous. I wouldn’t be wrong if I said, it was love at first sight. From that very moment, I never stopped falling in love with her.” He watched as couples exchanged glances and smiles.

“Two years later, we’ve decided to marry, so that nothing on this planet can ever come between us. As all of you know, the big day is on the 26th of the next month, most of you must have already received your invites. The preparations are underway, and everything is going on as planned,” he paused, “rather, as she planned,” he said, throwing her a little smile.

“The car that stands outside below the mango tree; the black Skoda Octavia, that’s supposed to be our wedding car. The only problem is that, I had a tiny accident on my way here, tonight. Fortunately, I am here in one piece, as you can see, hail and hearty and unharmed.” He could tell by Jessica’s face, that she was losing patience.

“The bonnet however, wasn’t as lucky, and has taken quite a beating; something that a quick dose of concealer cannot fix,” everybody laughed this time.

“When I got here, Jessica took one look at the car and freaked out. I got off, and expected her to run to me, and give me a free check up and shower me with kisses. Instead, I got one of the worst lectures of my life. Sadly, Jessica has the added burden of arranging for a wedding car, at the last minute. I was also lectured for keeping her waiting on ‘her’ important day, and not bothering about all the preparations ‘she’ had spent days over, and how my irresponsibility and lack of punctuality would eventually ruin ‘her’ big day. She conveniently left out a few important questions like, whether I was hurt, or what exactly happened.”

Jessica looked up at him and mouthed the words, ‘What the hell!’ but Trevis wouldn’t stop. “She even refused to speak to me or hear me out thereafter. Don’t worry, I’m not here to justify the accident, but yeah, just for the record, it wasn’t my fault,” somebody in the back let out a muffled laugh. “To cut a long story short, all this time, I admired the perfectionist I was in love with, but little did I realize, that Jessica, the woman of my dreams, is a rude, insensitive, pigheaded little b**** who can think of nothing and no one beyond herself and her big plans.”

Jessica’s mother signaled the DJ to switch off the microphone, but he pretended that he didn’t notice her.
“So here’s to Jessica’s perfect little engagement party, may all you lovely people have a wonderful evening” he said and emptied the pitcher of cold beer on her head, as he stepped down from the couch.

Belinda waited a few moments before she hit pause. She was relishing the look on Jessica's face.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

One full beer bottle wasted on that bitch? I would have poured butter chicken gravy.

Winnie the poohi said...

ha ha ha!!

Nice twist :)

My Foot? said...

@T-REX:
Wouldn't that just make her delicious?

@Poohi:
It was kinda predictable though :P but I couldn't resist!

Sakshi said...

Lovely... it was really great...

Shamanth Huddar said...

ROFL!!!

atta boy Trevis!!!

Wonderful story :)

I simply love the surprise element of all your stories.

Are you an O. Henry fan? I am :) If you have read him, you already know what I am talking about :) and if you haven't yet, please check his short stories out. I am sure you will LOVE them.

workhard said...

That was funny!!!!

Web hosting india