Chapter Two

“I guess I’ll be seeing you around then”, he said. “I guess you will”, she said and smiled, because she couldn’t think of anything smarter to do at that moment. He began to walk off the porch. She reached out for the doorbell. “You know,” he came running back up, “I’d really like you to have this”, saying so, he pulled out a little white rose. Gina was pleasantly surprised. “I’m sorry,” she looked the other way, to avoid looking into his eyes, “I don’t accept flowers”. Simon raised his eyebrows, “But this is a sad white rose… and if I take it back home, it will shrivel up and die on the way… so maybe you could give it a glass of water.. or something…”, he said and shrugged.

Simon knew he was blabbering rubbish, but the expression on her face encouraged him to continue, “...and it doesn’t bite..”. Gina could tell that he was praying with all his heart, that she accept his innocent little gift. She took it, but didn’t thank him. He waved her goodbye, and stepped back. He missed a step, and nearly rolled off the porch. “Are you alright?” Gina asked, more amused, than concerned. “Never been better”, he said, and danced off. Gina unlocked the door and walked in. “Now what do I do with you?” she asked the rose and walked towards the kitchen, giggling away.

Gina snapped back to reality, when Carl tapped her on her shoulder, “Are you sure you want to go through with this?”. She just nodded. She didn’t want to speak. She didn’t want to break the silence. The church was so quiet, with such pretty roses; “just the way Simon wanted it…” she thought to herself.

3 comments:

Florence R. said...

I love white roses.
But why give a sad rose for such happy moment? He should've given her a yellow one.
But then again...it cam mean much more as white.


Tip For The Day: Keep a flower in a glass of sugared water to keep it alive for a week.

esha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
esha said...

You write with a striking simplicity. No straight-from-the-oxford words et ol.
How old are you? Er - I meant, very generally. Graduate? Post-graduate?
And, well, did you always write like this? Or did you work your way through?
I'll be thankful if you answer, I just needed to know.
Thanks!
Goodday :)